Thursday 4 September 2008

Latvia 2008


Another short trip to another stunning city - Riga was laid back, quiet, moved at a slow pace but still had bags of character and history... I visited in September and the weather was still warm enough to manage without being wrapped up like a fragile parcel. These are a few things of what I saw...

These old air ship hangars are now used as a huge indoor market. There's a seperate hangar for meat, fish, dairy & bakery and vegetables - I love how Eastern European cities make use of old buildings like this - Inside the sun was shining through the large windows at either end as I bought my lunch.

The old soviet TV tower in Riga... I was drawn in by this building - you can see it on the horizon from anywhere in the city. As I approached the gates I was feeling doubtful that it was possible to go inside, but after trying (badly) to speak Latvian over the intercom, I was let in and given a tour by a girl who is studying English at Riga University. I think the highlight of her day was getting to see another human as the place seemed deserted! She seemed particularly proud in telling me that it is the highest TV tower in the European Union (not in Europe however, that is apparently in the Ukraine, but she was happy enough to settle for the EU record!)
 Another view of the tower, and the rest of the city, from the skyline bar in the Reval Hotel Latvija...

 A picture tells a thousand words... The 19.10 to Moscow - you have no idea how much I wanted to be onboard this train as it chugged out of the station...

I took this photo from a bridge over the river Daugava on the morning that I left. The city was still waking up, the sun was shining but the cool air still informed you that you were in the Baltic. The sky was really hazy - it was a happy moment! I love the reflection of the buildings on the calm water...

No comments:

Post a Comment